Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Here's another thing I drew. Look at it.


I just showed this drawing to one of my neighbors and he asked me what it was for. I said it was just for S's & G's, and he goes, "yeah, that's one of those things that you make and then you're like 'what do I do with it?' It'd make a good facebook profile picture, or I guess you could put it in your portfolio. It's cool though." Ha ha....(frown).
So what am I gonna do with it? I'm gonna post it on this here blog.
I know exactly what he means, but I don't want to be in the mindset that every thing I make SHOULD be calculated, profitable or some groundbreaking piece of artistic genius that others will gush over in order for it to be worth anything.
One of the most enjoyable paintings I've ever seen was this thing my friend Brad & I saw at the Heartside Gallery last year. It was called "Graboid 3" and it was of a giant worm monster coming out of the ground attacking people. It was crudely painted on cardboard with what looked like elementary school tempura craft paint. And it was Sweet.
My point is that it's okay to make goofy (perhaps unrefined) stuff for your own satisfaction that other people don't necessarily get or like or want to see ever again.
And in any case, I for one would not be able to stop drawing weird, juvenile things if I tried. It's just what I do.
So, yeah. That's the end of my tangent.

2 comments:

check yrself said...

you mean it was of a graboid:
http://www.stampede-entertainment.com/monstermakers/a-tremors-13-l.jpg

tremors for the winnn.

Liz Z said...

Yeesh...thing looks like a dead elephant.
I've never seen tremors, but I suppose that must have been her inspiration. Her version looked more like a giant pink earthworm though.
Kinda takes away from it's appeal for me. I thought she just made it up.